RISC-V has created RISC-V Learn Online in order to provide online learning at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Our goal is to increase engineering expertise and career opportunity on RISC-V across the industry, directly benefiting the community.
Online Training Focused on RISC-V
We’re gathering instructors, building content, and launching RISC-V Learn Online courses to cover many topics from initial introductory learning on RISC-V through to deep dives on specific areas of interest.
RVFPGA: Complete Course in Understanding Computer Architecture
The RVfpga course provides the foundation knowledge and hands-on experience that the next generation of Programmers and Engineers need to harness the potential of RISC-V. It consists of 20 Labs with detailed instructions, examples, short questions and practical exercises with solutions, giving you the teachers flexibility to choose between a practical and an exam-based structure for the course at your faculty.
It consists of 20 Labs with detailed instructions, examples, short questions and practical exercises with solutions, giving you the teachers flexibility to choose between a practical and an exam-based structure for the course at your faculty.
The RVfpga package provides instructions, tools, and labs that show how to:
- Target a commercial RISC-V system to an FPGA
- Add more functionality to the RISC-V system
- Analyze and modify the RISC-V core and memory hierarchy
The RVfpga system uses the Chips Alliance’s SweRVolf SoC, which is based on Western Digital’s RISC-V SweRV EH1 core. The SweRV is a fully-verified production level processor core, that is fully open-source, and now being used by several SoC designers including Imagination Technologies, the leaders of this project, in their A series GPU.
RVfpga is a collaborative effort between Imagination Technology’s Imagination University Programme and the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
Interested in submitting content?
RISC-V is looking for universities, individuals, and companies to develop RISC-V online course content. RISC-V International provides support, production, and promotion to ensure high caliber learning and promotion to millions of engineers globally. If you are interested in authoring a course, please fill out this form or email email@example.com with your interest, questions, and course information.
Developing a RISC-V Learn course is a fantastic opportunity to build your teaching credentials and professional experience, and for universities and companies to build their leadership within the RISC-V community. We encourage engineers and instructors with RISC-V teaching experience to contribute to the RISC-V Learn Online program.
Based on survey results, the RISC-V community is interested in courses on the following topics:
- Bare Metal & Real-time OS on RISC-V
- Compliance & Verification
- Debug & Trace
- Formal Specification
- Physical Memory Protection
- The RISC-V Memory Model
- RISC-V Toolchain & Kernel Development
If you have additional course ideas or content, please let us know!
Course development guidelines and expectations for course authors/instructors:
- Each course should take about 10 hours for the learner to complete. We expect courses to be roughly 20,000 words.
- Please submit information including a written title, subject overview, and table of contents.
- Provide a timeline of when you expect the course to be finalized and course content outline: written content, videos planned, with relative quizzes (required for edX) that give the individual a proven understanding of the content learned. Labs are possible but please reach out to us for further details on how to incorporate labs into your training.
- Once approved, the Linux Foundation team will reach out to discuss your course’s timeline and provide guidance. The instructor, Linux Foundation, and RISC-V International will work together using Google docs to add comments and questions pertaining to the course content.
- The Linux Foundation training team and RISC-V International will work with you along the way to ensure any questions are answered and that content is relevant.