The year started with the launch of Grai Matter and its edge AI chip, as well as an analysis of the role of IP.
- THE AI CHIPS RACE IS ON – WHAT ROLE WILL IP PLAY?
- GRAI MATTER, PARIS RESEARCH GIVES RISE TO AI PROCESSOR FOR THE EDGE
New chip architectures also emerged, optimised for edge AI. The open source RISC-V instruction set architecture saw various instruction extensions to boost performance for edge AI and so lower the power consumption. While new techniques such as spiking neural networks promised to reduce power consumption further, French AI scientist Yann LeCun at Facebook highlighted the vital role at the RISC-V will play.
- RISC-V BOOM SAYS FACEBOOK’S CHIEF AI SCIENTIST
- HAILO RAISES $60m FOR AI MICROPROCESSOR DEVELOPMENT
- LOW-COST AI PROCESSOR TARGETS AIOT
- SIFIVE AND CEVA PARTNERS ON AI