Principal Hardware Engineer
Codasip was founded on a simple belief – that we could bring together the brilliance of microprocessor architects and software engineers and capture it in tools that made design simpler, faster, and less expensive. Codasip was born in 2014 with the mission of democratising processor design. We are succeeding. At the same time RISC-V was gaining traction, so it was natural for Codasip to embrace it as an Open Instruction Set Architecture.
About our UK Design Centres
Our UK design centres in Cambridge and Bristol were set up in early 2022 to develop high performance, low power embedded and application CPU cores from scratch. We are embarking on clean-sheet designs, and need people who can establish high quality working practices as they explore new ground under the guidance of Kalvin Williams, the Senior CPU Design Manager. These projects are highly complex, with usually one person being responsible for owning a portion of the design.
We’re looking for Principal Hardware Engineers to join us either in our Cambridge or Bristol office. You’ll interact and collaborate with other engineers from a range of disciplines across Europe as part of an international team to find solutions. We hire really bright, highly motivated self-starters who enjoy working on something revolutionary in an innovative company.
- To be a leading member of our IP design team providing a leading role on a significant part of the CPU microarchitecture development
- Responsible for the microarchitecture definition and implementation of RISC-V processors and extensions
- Providing technical leadership to a small design team and mentoring of more junior members within the team
- Processor development within the Codasip Architectural Language (CodAL)
- Undertaking design synthesis and results analysis to ensure PPA targets can be met
- Working closely with the verification team on verification planning, debugging, and final sign-off
- Technical specification and documentation writing
- Participate in and drive design and verification reviews
- Be responsible for defining, estimating, and tracking of own work
YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- Over 10 years of recent and relevant module design experience with at least one HDL (VHDL/Verilog/SystemVerilog)
- Good knowledge of CPU architecture
- Ability to write clear and concise code
- Experience with digital circuit simulation
- User knowledge of Linux
- Knowledge of versioning tools (Git, SVN)
- Knowledge of scripting languages (Shell, Bash, Python)
- Analytical thinking, self-sufficiency, team collaboration
- Ability to work across teams to debug issues and find root causes
- Knowledge of RISC-V instruction set
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems and architecture
- Prior leadership and/or mentoring experience
- Experience of Synthesis, Design for Test and Timing Analysis
- Experience of low power design techniques
- Experience of Formal verification techniques
- Knowledge of C/C++
What’s in it for you?
Joining Codasip’s founding UK team is a chance to challenge yourself to work on complicated projects and structure how we do design. The best candidates for us are decisive, proactive, comfortable with ambiguity, opinionated yet collaborative and passionate about continuous improvement as we scale up and disrupt the semiconductor industry.
Please note this position can be based in either our Cambridge or Bristol offices. It is a hybrid role where you will be expected to be in the office a few days per week, with flexible work from home options available.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.