RISC-V (pronounced “risk-five”) is a free and open ISA enabling a new era of processor innovation through open standard collaboration. Founded in 2015, the RISC-V Foundation comprises more than 100 member organizations building the first open, collaborative community of software and hardware innovators powering innovation at the edge forward. Born in academia and research, the RISC-V ISA delivers a new level of free, extensible software and hardware freedom on architecture, paving the way for the next 50 years of computing design and innovation.
The RISC-V Foundation, a non-profit corporation controlled by its members, directs the future development and drives the adoption of the RISC-V ISA. Members of the RISC-V Foundation have access to and participate in the development of the RISC-V ISA specifications and related HW / SW ecosystem. The Foundation has a Board of Directors (BoD) comprising seven representatives from Bluespec, Inc.; Google; Microsemi; NVIDIA; NXP; University of California, Berkeley; and Western Digital.
RISC-V is taking off far faster than anyone anticipated, both commercially and academically. The BoD decided that now is the time to aggressively transition the Foundation from a RISC-V technical standards body (e.g. IEEE-754 committee) to the center of RISC-V activity worldwide (e.g. The Linux Foundation). To this end the BoD has opened the search for a dynamic CEO to maximize the potential of RISC-V and lead the Foundation to this next level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The CEO’s overarching goal is to lead the transformation of the RISC-V Foundation into the primary organization driving the integrity, evolution and growth of RISC-V worldwide. The CEO will formulate and execute the strategy for realizing this Foundation goal. The CEO job will require but is not constrained by the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Formulate the RISC-V Foundation vision and strategy:
- Standards setting
- Shared marketing (CEO evangelism, events, outreach, website, “making the world safe for RISC-V”)
- Educational material (professional training & certification, corporate partnerships, K12 to higher education)
- Ecosystem development (shared engineering resources for standards, golden models, compliance suites, …)
- Government outreach and country adoption (coordination and engagement processes to prevent fragmentation)
- Membership growth and country adoption
- Foundation business model (value proposition, fund raising, revenue targets, membership dues)
- Research funding
- Legal strategy
- Execute the RISC-V Foundation vision and strategy:
- BoD buy-in and approval
- Operational plan with milestones and targets
- Fund raising
- Organization to execute plan
- Regular reporting to BoD on progress against goals
- BS/MS in Engineering/Computer Science plus, ideally, an MBA
- Experience / working knowledge of the semiconductor space
- Proven track record of growing and managing a global technology organization
- 10-15+ years of related experience in engineering management, product management, and or business development
- Strong business acumen with the ability to focus on the right things
- Ability to create and execute to plan – Execution, execution, execution….
- Exceptionally strong program management skills
- Demonstrated success creating and driving strategy
- Proven success building and managing partnerships
- Exhibited track record of planning and managing budgets
- Innately amazing interpersonal skills to build strong relationships and drive execution
- Capable of managing and interfacing with all levels from Engineer to CEO
- Proven ability to build teams
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentations skills and proven ability to communicate technical concepts
Candidates interested in the CEO position can send their resume to Celeste Cooper at Celeste.Cooper@wdc.com.