Message from RISC-V International
The growth and reach of the RISC-V ecosystem continues to inspire me during 2023! We are seeing incredible adoption across a huge number of applications and a diverse range of software workloads. The RISC-V Advocate program launched in April to support the global momentum and adoption of RISC-V. This program underscores our commitment to making RISC-V the most efficient place to foster innovation by providing technologies from the RISC-V ecosystem the widest reach across application spaces and enabling the most efficient return on time for developers by allowing them to concentrate on their value add, the thing that makes their product unique.
Software is a key focus of our attention. Compatibility and portability of workloads is essential, and it is for this reason that we have been working as a community on RISC-V Profiles. These profiles define versioned collections of instructions, behavior, and state that enable application portability between implementations. Organizations implementing these profiles can demonstrate compatibility by taking the Architectural Compatibility Test, and after they pass, they can use RISC-V Compatible™ branding to promote their compatibility to potential implementers and users of their processors. I would like to congratulate Alibaba for becoming the first of our members to pass the compatibility test with its XuanTie C908 processor.
Developers targeting RISC-V based systems can be confident in the strength of our growing software ecosystem. Our new RISC-V Ecosystem Landscape shows the diversity of software support on RISC-V from Applications to Libraries, Infrastructure to Runtimes, Operating Systems to Hypervisors. There is huge technical and business value here, enabling efficient development by taking advantage of pre-existing components, saving both time and effort, and enabling a focus on innovation. RISC-V members can tap into this value by adding their technologies to the landscape and to RISC-V Exchange, enabling potential users to find them easily!
We are investing as an ecosystem to enable efficient deployment of software workloads on RISC-V. Keep checking back on the RISC-V Ecosystem Landscape, explore the different projects and technologies and keep an eye on the sheer size and the value of the ecosystem at the top of the page. Currently we are showing over 170 different components, both hardware and software, with a market cap of over $5T. You’re only going to see this continue to explode in size as the ecosystem continues to invest together in the future of RISC-V.
The rich ecosystem of RISC-V technologies needs trained developers to take advantage of them. We’re further accelerating the developer on-ramp through our new online training and certification, including the newly launched RISC-V Fundamentals course and RVFA exam intended for those interested in an entry-level RISC-V role or transitioning from another architecture.
Additionally, RISC-V Summit Europe is right around the corner on June 5-9 in Barcelona. Thank you to our sponsors for supporting this event. RISC-V Summit China will be on August 23-25 in Beijing, and RISC-V Summit North America will be on November 7-9 in Santa Clara. Save the dates and join us to engage deeply in the community, learn about the latest advances, and chart a course for the future.
RISC-V thrives on collaboration and community involvement.
CEO, RISC-V International
The Application-Processor Trusted Execution Environment (AP-TEE) interface proposal for RISC-V-based platforms is progressing towards architecture review enabling application workloads that require confidentiality to reduce the Trusted Computing Base (TCB) to a minimum. The proposed specification supports an architecture that can be used for Application and Virtual Machine workloads.
The SPMP (supervisor mode PMP) extension allows isolation between S/U and U/U under supervisor control in systems without paged virtual memory. The architecture review of the proposed extension is scheduled to begin soon, aiming to freeze by q3 this year.
The Shadow stacks and landing pads extension will counter many classical code reuse attack techniques, and enforce control flow integrity. Backward edge attacks are mitigated by a protected shadow stack, and forward edge by labeled landing pads. The proposal is well advanced and aims to freeze in Q2 this year.
Our Market Development focus is kicking off, starting with Automotive. We have a core group currently discussing market opportunities, points of differentiation and important personas to connect with, while also starting to think about high level messaging. Contact Andy Moore (email@example.com) for more details and to help us raise the profile of RISC-V to the automotive industry. Track progress and get involved. Join the RISC-V Marketing Committee.
RISC-V Summit Europe (June 5-9, Barcelona, Spain) – The first-ever RISC-V Summit Europe is less than a week away! Areas of focus include Automotive, Security, Safety, HPC and Data Center, AI/ML, Software and Open Hardware. Check out the agenda here.
- Register TODAY!
A BIG thank you to our diamond sponsors!
RISC-V Summit China is planned for August 23-25, 2023 in Beijing. Information on sponsor packages is now available and Call For Proposals is coming this week.
RISC-V Summit North America will take place Nov. 7 – 8 at the Santa Clara Convention Center. Sponsorship registration and the Call For Proposals information are available. Deadline for abstract submissions is Friday, July 14.
Check out RISC-V at these upcoming events:
Design Automation Conference (San Francisco, July 9-13) – The RISC-V Zone exhibit area connects the community of designers, executives, researchers, and developers harnessing the power of the RISC-V open source architecture for ASIC and FPGA designs.
- Don’t forget to check out the panel, Delivering on RISC V’s Promise to Give Designers Freedom to Innovate – What’s Needed?, moderated by Calista Redmond.
- Wednesday, July 12th from 10:30 a.m. – Noon PDT
- Panelists include: Bob Brennan, Intel; Rick O’Connor, OpenHW Group; Simon Davidmann, Imperas; Richard Barry, Amazon; and Himanshu Sanghavi, Meta.
- All RISC-V sessions can be found HERE by searching RISC-V.
- Register TODAY!
Meanwhile, check out all the events where the community is showcasing RISC-V.
To submit an event or webinar to be posted on the website, use the event submission request form on the RISC-V events page.
RISC-V In the News, just a few of many we see each day:
- The RISE Of RISC-V: Accelerating Adoption Through Collaboration And Coordination – Forbes, May 31, 2023
- The Linux Foundation Europe launches RISE, the RISC-V Software Ecosystem project – TechCrunch, May 31, 2023
- META PLATFORMS CRAFTS HOMEGROWN AI INFERENCE CHIP, AI TRAINING NEXT – The Next Platform, May 18, 2023
- Esperanto Sees A Bright Future For RISC-V In AI And HPC – Forbes, May 12, 2023
- Podcast: The Pixel tablet is a smart home let down – Stacey on IoT podcast, May 11, 2023
- Calista Redmond, RISC-V International | Open Source Summit NA 2023 – Silicon Angle, May 11, 2023
- Green Fields of Opportunity: How RISC-V is Changing the Way Our Industry Works – eeJournal, April 21, 2023
- Scientists Broke a Major Computer Design Barrier — And It Could Change Tech As We Know It – Inverse, April 13, 2023
- RISC-V IN THE DATACENTER IS NO RISKY PROPOSITION – The Next Platform, April 3, 2023
- SemiFive Helps FuriosaAI ‘Warboy’ Processor Get to Market – eeNewsEurope, April 4, 2023
- Open ISA RISC-V – Circuit Cellar, March 26, 2023
- Embedded World 2023: It’s Time To Architect All Ambitions With Custom Compute – Semiconductor Engineering, March 23, 2023
- Podcast: RISC-V Has Crossed the Chasm – The Ojo-Yoshia Report – March 1, 2023
- RISC-V: An Open Standard Instruction Set – May 24, 2023
- RISC-V and the Future of Machine Learning Computing – May 22, 2023
- T-Head Prototypes Innovative Hardware Support for Virtual IOMMU – May 18, 2023
- Co-developing RISC-V AI solutions using Vector Extensions in Renode with Kenning – May 18, 2023
- [INTERVIEW] Calista Redmond, RISC-V International | Open Source Summit NA 2023 – May 15, 2023
- Chip War Without Soldiers – May 15, 2023
- Canonical enables Ubuntu on StarFive’s VisionFive 2 RISC-V single board computer – May 10, 2023
- Wearable Payment Solution Based On T-Head Security Technologies – May 3, 2023
- RISC-V’s Worldwide Expansion and Andes Technology’s Contribution – April 26, 2023
- Accelerate Your Success by Joining RISC-V Membership – April 18, 2023
- Adapting OpenTitan for Open Source FPGA Prototyping and Tooling Development – April 3, 2023
- [PODCAST] Making Formal Verification the New Normal in IoT with Ashish Darbari – Founder, Axiomise | The IoT Podcast – April 3, 2023
- Announcing the Nerds Talking to Nerds About RISC-V Event Hosted by Tenstorrent – April 2, 2023
- Catch Up With the Best of the RISC-V Booth from Embedded World 2023 – March 24, 2023
- Top Ten Fallacies About RISC-V – March 22, 2023
- The Evolving Automotive Experience Made Possible by RISC-V – March 21, 2023
Do you have news or blogs we can amplify? The blog, In the News, and social media submission request form can be found on the RISC-V News & Blog page.
There are many additional areas to engage in our community building efforts:
- Looking to showcase your RISC-V knowledge? Get certified with the RISC-V Foundational Associate Certification! Also available in Chinese.
- Join the Academic Special Interest group where universities engage and connect
- Enlist in RISC-V online training and certification, or reach out to propose and help us build new courses at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Catch up on RISC-V sessions on YouTube including content from the Summit 2022
- Looking for a new role? Seeking RISC-V talent for your team? See open roles across the community on RISC-V Careers. Member organizations are also encouraged to list their open positions!
- Did you miss our Virtual Career Fair for Graduating Students? Rewatch the event here.
- Paid RISC-V mentorships applications are officially closed. Member organizations can propose a mentorship here by June 12.